segunda-feira, 16 de maio de 2011

«DO YOU REMEMBER ROCK N ROLL RADIO?» - STEVE JONES


Music of all forms has played a pivotal role in my life. I remember laying in bed as a teenager listening to faraway AM radio stations from big American cities and wishing I could be like one of the charismatic and engaging DJs I heard. I treated the songs the way sports fans treat statistics. I kept track of when they came out and where they peaked on the charts. I tried to learn everything I could about every new band that came out! When I would get in a fight with my parents, I would retreat to my room and crank up my music and get lost in the sounds.

Today one of the songs that means the most to me is "My Hero" by Foo Fighters. I don't remember the first time I ever heard the song, but I clearly remember the first time I "got it". My son, now a teenager himself, was in the car with me and we had just gotten into a typical father-son argument with me over something silly. I was mad at him, as I am sure he was at me. After dropping him off, "My Hero" came on the radio.

Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters sang "There goes my hero, watch him as he goes. There goes my hero... he's ordinary."

It reminded me of the short time we have on this earth, and the deep bond between a father and his son. It spoke to me about the way we are all imperfect and "ordinary", yet to each other we can be heroes. It made me think of my relationship with my hero - my father - and my son's relationship with me.

Today, every time I hear "My Hero", I turn it up as loud as I can. The pounding drum beat and screaming guitars mask the soft and gentle message: love those around you with all your heart while you can and embrace their imperfections, because you won't be around forever. Tomorrow might be too late.

- Steve Jones - author of the new book "Brand Like A Rock Star", coming October 1, 2011 on Greenleaf Book Group. Now available for pre-order at Amazon.com.
www.brandlikearockstar.com

Sem comentários: